Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment used as an alternative to braces. The system repositions the teeth using clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth. Invisalign has been shown to be an effective option for many patients who want to improve their smile in a more discreet way.
Invisalign can be used to treat a wide range of orthodontic issues from crowding to overbites. This treatment option has many features and benefits that make it highly effective and user-friendly. However, not everyone is an ideal candidate for Invisalign. Dr. Stock can perform a simple evaluation to determine whether or not Invisalign will be effective for you.
Here are some of the pros and cons of Invisalign to help you decide whether or not this is the right treatment for you.
Pros of Invisalign:
- Discreet. Because aligners are made with thin, clear plastic, your friends and coworkers won’t even notice you’re wearing them.
- Comfortable. There are no brackets or wires to adjust with Invisalign; just thin, smooth plastic aligners that fit flush against the teeth.
- Convenient. You can eat all of your favorite foods and brush and floss as usual because your aligners can be taken out when needed.
- Fewer office visits. You’ll only need to see your orthodontist every 6 to 8 weeks during Invisalign treatment, as opposed to monthly visits for braces.
- Shorter treatment time. Invisalign treatment is often shorter than braces. Invisalign treatment time averages between 6 and 18 months where braces treatment time averages between 1 and 3 years.
Cons of Invisalign:
- Not right for everyone. Not all people are ideal candidates for Invisalign. Sometimes the orthodontic issues present will require traditional braces to correct.
- Compliance is required. The primary disadvantage of Invisalign is that the aligners only work when they are being worn, which makes compliance an absolute must.
- Invisalign may cost more. The cost of Invisalign will differ from one patient to another depending on the corrections that are required. In some cases it may cost more than braces would cost to correct the patient’s orthodontic issues.
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
Are Invisalign braces good for all patients?
It’s just as effective as braces in some cases. But for some patients there are significant or particular orthodontic issues present that will require traditional braces or other treatment options to correct.
Is Invisalign treatment faster than braces?
Every case is unique, but it’s important to remember that braces are affixed to the teeth and work to straighten them 24/7. Invisalign can be removed, and aligners don’t work when they’re sitting on the bathroom sink. If you wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day, treatment time may be comparable to that of braces.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Your orthodontist will plan your treatment and design your aligners. The treatment plan is then sent to Invisalign so the aligners can be fabricated according to specifications. You will wear the aligners for 22 hours a day and switch to a new set every two weeks, or as directed by your orthodontist.
Dr. Suzanne Stock is a Certified Invisalign Provider
When you choose a Board-Certified Orthodontist like Dr. Stock for your Invisalign treatment, you’ll know that you’re getting exceptional care. Orthodontists specialize in correcting misalignments and improper bites, so there’s no one more qualified to help you achieve a beautiful, healthy smile. Dr. Suzanne Stock provides Invisalign for patients in Iowa City, Fairfield, Washington, and Williamsburg, IA.
Contact us at one of our 4 convenient locations to learn more and schedule your appointment.
Main Office Location – Iowa City
1031 Wade St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
Additional Office Locations
205 N. B St.
Fairfield, IA 52556
110 E. Main St.
Washington, IA 52353
400 Elm Street
Williamsburg, IA 52361